What is a medical marijuana patient license?

A medical marijuana patient license allows an individual with an approved application to legally buy, use, and grow medical marijuana and medical marijuana products in Oklahoma. This license will be in the form of an identification card that can be used to prove an individual is a license holder. This card will contain the individual’s name, photo, date of birth, city and county of residence, the type of license, the date the license expires, and the patient’s unique medical marijuana license number.

How long does my patient license last?

A patient license is valid for two years from the date it is issued, unless the license is revoked by OMMA.

What information do I need to provide in the application?

The following information is needed for a patient license:

  • Patient’s full name

  • Residence and mailing address

  • Date of birth

  • Telephone number and email address

  • Physician information

  • Patient signature dated within 30 days of the application date

What documentation do I need to provide in the application?

The following unexpired, valid documentation is required for the application:

  • Proof of Oklahoma residency (digital copy of one of the following):  

    • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)

    • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)

    • Oklahoma voter identification card

    • A utility bill for the calendar month preceding the date of application, excluding cellular telephone and internet bills

    • A residential property deed to property in the State of Oklahoma

    • A current rental agreement for residential property located in the State of Oklahoma

  • Proof of identity (digital copy of one of the following):  

    • Oklahoma driver’s license (front and back)

    • Oklahoma identification card (front and back)

    • U.S. passport or other photo identification issued by the U.S government

    • Tribal identification card approved for identification purposes by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety:  

      • United States Bureau of Indian Affairs identification card or a Oklahoma tribal photo identification cards: Muscogee (Creek) Nation of Oklahoma, Kiowa, Comanche, Apache of Oklahoma, Absentee Shawnee, Cheyenne-Arapaho, Choctaw, Delaware, Caddo Nation of Oklahoma issued on or after January 8, 2008.

  • A clear, color, full-face digital photograph

  • Adult Patient Physician Recommendation Form dated within 30 days of application submission

    • **Please note: The “Certifying Board” field on this form must be filled out in its entirety or the application will be rejected. Please ensure the physician fills this out using the full, complete name of his or her certifying board (e.g., “American Board of Family Medicine” instead of “Family Medicine”).**

  • If applicable, the patient’s Medicaid (SoonerCare) or Medicare insurance card or enrollment documentation

How much does the application cost?

The standard application fee OMMA charges is $104.30. Individuals who provide acceptable proof of Medicaid (SoonerCare) or Medicare enrollment will pay a reduced fee of $22.50. Application fees must be paid by Visa, MasterCard, or Discover credit or debit card. An additional credit card processing fee will be added to the transaction. These application and processing fees are non-refundable. The payment will not be refunded for applications not approved.

Our clinic charges $150 for medical marijuana recommendations.


You will need to visit your doctor and have him or her complete and sign the Adult Patient Physician Recommendation Form. A digital copy of this form must be submitted with the application through the online system.

This form must be dated within 30 days of the date you apply. For instance, if your physician signs the recommendation form on September 30, the application must be submitted by October 30.

How do I get a doctor’s recommendation?

Once the application has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the OMMA. If it is deemed complete and meets all requirements, an approval letter with your identification card will be mailed within 14 days of your application submission date.

If an application is incomplete due to unclear or missing information or documents, you will receive email correspondence stating the reason(s) it is incomplete. You will be able to log back in to your account to make corrections. Your submission date is the date a complete application is provided.

If an application is reviewed and denied because all requirements have not been met, a denial letter stating the reason(s) for denial will be mailed within 14 days of submission.

What happens after I apply?

A medical marijuana identification card and another form of identification should be presented any time you purchase medical marijuana at a dispensary or have marijuana taken to a processor to be concentrated. Law enforcement may also require your identification card to prove you are licensed to legally use and possess medical marijuana.

Who will check my license identification card?

Caregiver licenses are available for caregivers of certain patients who can provide documentation from a physician that they need a caregiver. This documentation is part of the Adult Patient Physician Recommendation Form and can be provided by you when you submit your application or at a later date by accessing your online account. A patient can only have one licensed caregiver at a time, and the caregiver must submit an application meeting all requirements to receive a caregiver license. This includes the requirement that the caregiver must provide an Adult Patient Caregiver Designation Form signed by you.

What if I need someone to help me buy or use medical marijuana?

Yes, you may submit the Patient Withdrawal of Caregiver Form to withdraw a current caregiver. To designate another caregiver, a separate caregiver application with another Adult Patient Caregiver Designation Form signed by the patient will be required.

Can I change my caregiver?

This is a complicated question but in essence we will advise on the use of medical marijuana including but not limited to CBD and THC products. We will assist you in finding a pediatric doctor ready to help in your healing journey.

Can you recommend thc for my minor child?